update-menus fails for normal user, but not for root

Howdy all,

not too long ago, update-menus stopped working for me suddenly... now i just
get a long string similar to the following message:

rm: cannot unlink `/usr/share/applnk/Multimedia/Debian': Permission denied
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/applnk/Multimedia/Debian/Sound' to
`/home/rich/.kde/share/applnk/Debian/Sound': Permission denied

it still works when logged in as root, however. I have purged and
re-installed menu, but it still does the same thing - any ideas?

thanks in advance,

rich