Re: Superflous Emacs backup files

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.infodrom.north.de> writes:

> I noticed that GNU Emacs seems to create tons of files like
> .saves-16657-finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE~ in $HOME which don't
> get removed.  What's the way to prevent this?

Those are session recovery files, so if your emacs crashes, you can do
a M-x recover-session and it'll do a M-x recover-file on each file.
Those files should be deleted if Emacs exists normally (C-x C-c, close
gadget on the window).

There was a bug in earlier versions of Emacs where those files
wouldn't be deleted, but that's fixed by 20.7.

ISTR some method of turning them off entirely, but don't have Emacs
20.7 handy to check.  Emacs 21 will move them to their own
directory....

I've already told you more than I know.