Re: netgear fa311 NIC driver

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:54:18PM -0400, Donald Becker wrote:
> > >  However, it is

> > Hmmm, the Rx status steck overflowed.
> > I don't see this with my driver release.
> > This is very unusual -- either the driver misconfigured the chip, or the
> > chip couldn't get any PCI bus bandwidth to transfer Rx descriptors.
>
> Could that be the fault of a buggy BIOS or chipset?  For what it's
> worth, I saw this problem on both a FIC PA2013 motherboard (I forget the
> pci chipset used there) and an ABIT KT7A with a VIA Apollo KT133
> chipset.

It could be the fault of a BIOS that configures the card with a too-low
PCI latency timer.  "Too low" is referenced to other devices on the PCI
bus, not an absolute value.

> > That's pretty unlikely, unless the interrupt is blocked for a really
> > long time.  That's a problem with another driver on the system, not with
> > sharing IRQs.
>
> Interesting.  I should swap the card back in and see which other devices
> the card is sharing IRQs with.  I did move it to a different slot at one
> pointin an attempt to make sure it was sharing interrupts with different
> devices, but maybe it still got stuck sharing with a buggy driver.

It doesn't matter (much) which other devices the natsemi chip is sharing
IRQs with.  The problem is any other driver which blocks interrupt service.

> > As usual, my primary reply is that I don't support modified drivers.  If
> > you touch it, you should be willing to test and maintain the whole
> > driver.
> > I will debug problems that you can reproduce on an original driver.
>
> I had no trouble duplicating the problem in the original driver
> (assuming, of course, that the version of natsemi.c included in Linux
> 2.4 counts as "original").

No, it doesn't.  Read the source code and you'll see it was modified.

> ...  There was a SCSI card in the configuration (using the
> sym53c8xx driver), so that may have been involved.  But as I said, I
> don't know right now which cards were sharing IRQs.

I suspect the SCSI driver played a role in the problem.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993