Re: netgear fa311 NIC driver

On 24 Aug 2001 bedlam@alumni.rice.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 24 August 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> > You didn't need to upgrade your kernel.
> >    http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> >       ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.c
> I had problems with this before I upgraded the kernel, I couldn't
> compile the driver.

What problem did you have?
With what kernel?

> > As usual, my primary reply is that I don't support modified drivers.  If
> > you touch it, you should be willing to test and maintain the whole
> > driver.
> > I will debug problems that you can reproduce on an original driver.
>
> I haven't modified the driver.  I got it with everything else when I
> downloaded and compiled the 2.4.9 kernel.  I'll go through the
> webpage steps, but if you can tell me what to look for relating to
> that error message and how I should fix it I'd appreciate it.

The driver in 2.4 is a modified version of an older natsemi.c driver
release.  That's what I mean by modified -- not that you modified it
yourself.

The dp83815 datasheet is on line at www.natsemi.com, but it takes a long
time to understand the implications of simple-looking driver changes by
just reading the datasheet.
One approach is to see if the driver from ftp.scyld.com works, and then
track the driver changes.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993