Re: netgear fa311 NIC driver

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:50:25PM -0700, bedlam@alumni.rice.edu wrote:
> I have upgraded to kernel 2.4.9 so I would have support for the
> netgear fa311 NIC, specifically the natsemi driver.  However, it is
> behaving strangely.  I repeatedly get the error message:
>
> eth1: Something Wicked Happened! 18000

<shudder>  That looks painfully familiar, as well as your description of
the network behavior (the first icmp echo request gets through fine, but
no others).

I can't tell if it is a bug in the National Semiconductor chip on the
card or with the driver.  From what I was able to determine, it has
something to do with IRQ sharing, though I'm not totally sure what.
Many current BIOSes set up multiple devices on a single IRQ.  The Linux
kernel supports this on a higher level, but perhaps there's support
needed in the driver that the natsemi driver doesn't have.

Between this bug and the natsemi driver's broken multicast support, I've
spent a good deal of time looking at the driver.  I was never able to
solve the problem, though, and eventually stopped trying as it was
easier for me to just swap in another NIC.  I'm cc'ing Donald Becker
becker@scyld.com with this mail, as he's the primary author of the
natsemi driver and may be able to shed some light on the situation.

noah