Re: Post Installation of a booter

On 24 Aug 2001 19:46:32 -0400, alex wrote:
> I plan to install 4 Linux systems but don't want to install a boot
> loader (LILO or GRUB) with any of the systems but instead  rely on boot
> floppies because I always had reliable performance with floppies in the
> past.  However, LILO or GRUB is more convenient and faster so I would
> like to at least give them a try.
>

> How can LILO or GRUB be installed after the Linux systems have been
> installed and working?   I couldn't find any info about
> installing them after the systems are installed.  How would you create a
> menu to include all 4 Linux systems plus Windows?
>

> And, in the event I decide to remove the boot loader later, how can this
> be done safely?
>

> The reason for my not wanting to include boot loaders during the Linux
> installations is, I had a BIG problem once when
> I made a mistake near the end of a Linux  installation and couldn't
> correct it.  So, I halted the installation to try to restart it.
>
> GRUB  had already been installed and it wouldn't let me to do a
> reinstallation but it insisted on trying to boot the incomplete Linux
> and nothing else, not even DOS,  could be booted.   It's a long story,
> but I ended up reformatting the Windows partition and reinstalling
> everything.
>
> Using boot floppies is as reliable as wearing a belt and suspenders but
> both are inconvenient and slower.

Welcome to the world of high fashion.  The /etc/lilo.conf file should be
pretty self evident.  However a quick browse of the man pages for lilo
and lilo.conf will help you immensly.  In short, you're going to add a
section for each linux system and your windows system as shown.  Then
have lilo update the boot sector of your primary boot drive and then you
can choose at each reboot what you want to run.  Hitting shift during
the boot process gives a nice little menu for your different options (at
least) in the unstable lilo.

--mike