Re: apt-get cannot get any files (404)

On 24 Aug 2001 15:01:38 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> >
> > On 24 Aug 2001 13:43:16 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >   when I try to update the system I get 404 for all files, anybody knows
> > > what's the problem? The update of package list works fine but when it
> > > starts doenloading packages all I see is 404, here's what it looks like:
> > >
> > > jojda:/home/erik# apt-get update && apt-get -f dist-upgrade
> > > Hit http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Packages
> > <snip>
> >
> > What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file look like?
>
>   I didn't change it recently (and it used to work as recently as
> yesterday):
>
> ...comments snipped ...
> # erik: deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
<snip>

That looks normal.  Maybe it's just a bad archive, I've run into that
problem a few times.  Usually it's because my machines are behind a web
chaching proxy where the files are really hard to get right for the
proxy for some reason.  Every now and then you just get the sources
before the archives finish syncing I think.

--mike