Re: magic sysrq key

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Walter Hofmann wrote:
> Is there a way to enable the magic SysRq key without compiling a custom
> kernel?
> Why is it not built in the Debian kernel? If policy demands that it
> should be disabled by default then this could be done via proc during
> the boot process.

Wouldn't you build a custom kernel soon after installation anyway?
That's generally recommended.

Has it always been the case that /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq could disable
the magic sysrq key?  I've heard some consider the sysrq key a security
hole, but if it can be disabled then there's no big deal.

File a wishlist bug if you want.  I'm not sure exactly what you should
file it against...  'kernel-image', I imagine, but that's not a real
package (it's a virtual package).

noah