Re: AMD Athlon optimised, customized kernel, on Woody, and kernel oopses

> > Some more info: compiled on my own unstable machine, also got serious
> > problems. Then I recompiled on my machine optimising for 486 instead of
> > Athlon, sounds like there was no problem. So AMD optimization is broken?
>
> 	That's it. I've seen numerous problems related to the Athlon
> 	optimizations being reported to the Linux Kernel Mailing List
> 	and I do not even dare to compile my own kernels (for AMD or
> 	Intel, for that matter) with anything above Pentium classic.

I hear Pentium Classic optimisations make programs slower for other
processors... makes me wonder what I should optimize for... I have had
no problems with my Celeron and Optimizations for PPro/Celeron/P2
though.

Should I try optimising for K6? Will this help with K7/Athlon?
It is interesting to note that the kernel-image-2.4.9-k6 image is
labelled as for K6/K7/Athlon, so this should be fine then... (I see
2.4.9 entered "local" mirror today. Goodie)

Hugo van der Merwe
--
To send me private (non-world-readable) mail, GPG encrypt it.
1024D/60715698: 5F2E 8EC2 E0A4 5D25 0569  F281 4A6C D76D 6071 5698