ADSL problem with large packets

Hi,

I just got ADSL running on my home network with a Debian gateway (two ethernet
cards).

I think I've got an MTU problem. Large transfers just don't work, but I can make
an SSH connection out (for example) and pinging and the likes works.

I've got

pty "pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1412"
and
mtu 1412

in my peers file for the DSL connection as per documentation. I haven't messed
with the MTUs on anything behind the Linux box. Should I? I thought the whole
idea of this "MTU clamping" was this wasn't required?

Andrew