vnc, wdm, xinetd, and pam: can't log in

I'm using a trick I've just learned to try triggering VNC sessions from
xinetd.  See for more info:

    http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=6286

My own configuration is included below.

The problem:

    Launching xvncviewer :50 gives me an X session and a wdm login
    screen, however, I can't log in.  I get the following message in
    /var/log/daemon:

	Aug 22 15:25:46 localhost wdm: wdm pipe read error with program
	/usr/bin/X11/wdm Login, wdm terminating

   I run wdm as my standard X display manager, and can log in from the
   console via X.

Anyone else have any luck with this, or ideas on how to proceed?

from /etc/services
vnc             5950/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-1           5951/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-2           5952/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-3           5953/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-4           5954/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-5           5955/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-6           5956/tcp                        # VNC
vnc-7           5957/tcp                        # VNC

/etc/xinetd.d/vnc:
service vnc
{
    disable        = no
    socket_type    = stream
    protocol       = tcp
    wait           = no
    user           = nobody
    server         = /usr/bin/X11/Xvnc
    server_args    = -inetd -query ego -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16
    log_on_failur  += USERID
}

/etc/X11/wdm/Xservers (non-comment, nonblank lines only):
:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X vt7 -deferglyphs 32 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

/etc/pam.d/wdm
#%PAM-1.0
auth            required        pam_nologin.so
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
password        required        pam_unix.so
session         required        pam_unix.so