From: Forrest Cahoon [mailto:forrest@pconline.com]
Sent: Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 10:42 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: fixing demand-dialing ppp

I have the same problem that is described in bug #103843: my woody box
can't do demand-dialing ppp.

While the bug is still open, the maintainer
(Eduard Bloch <inet@zombie.inka.de>) posted this response:

> The reason is the kernel-mode-pppoe patch, having removed it
> the pppd seems to start fine.

I have no clue what this is supposed to mean.  I got pristine 2.2.19
sources from ftp.us.kernel.org and built a kernel with make-kpkg, but
I still have the problem.  I've tried both building ppp into the
kernel and building it as a module, but both fail.

A couple of points that might be relevant:

1) My woody box that is having this problem is running ip masquerade.

2) I've been building these kernels on a sid box with make-kpkg, then
   installing them on my woody box.

Anyone have any suggestions?