Re: Upgrade

> Shaul Karl wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to upgrade to a higher version of debian ? I always get
> > > lost in `dselect' or `apt-get' . Greg
> > >

> > Which version of debian are you currently using? What is your
> > /etc/apt/sources.lists looks like? What is the output of apt-get when you are
> > trying to use it?
> >
> > Basically, apt-get and dselect are the tools you have got.
> > Perhaps you should start with apt-get and post more specific questions? Since
> > apt-get does not requires much human intervention I tend to say that once you
> > will post some specific questions and get answered to you will be using
> > apt-get frequently.
> >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> >
> >         Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>
> I've gotten as far as `apt-get dist-upgrade', but it ended on a `file
> (pkg) not found'. As for my version of debian it's (CorelLinux)2.1, I
> bought the install disk for $10 Cdn at a used PC shop...please excuse my
> incomplete reply I'm a little tired and this is one of those things that
> gets lost in the mail bag if I don't respond...running `apt-get' was
> good though...I've found the packages in /var/cache/apt...thank you for
> your reply and any other words of advice/encouragement are
> welcomed/appreciated...g.b.

I have no experience with CorelLinux. I know that it is a derivative of Debian
but I do not know how much it is different from a native Debian system.

Doesn't Corel have a CorelLinux web page and mailing list? Perhaps it would be
easier to use a native Debian CD and reinstall?

Basically, on a native Debian machine all one has to do is to write a suitable
/etc/apt/sources.list, run `apt-get update' and then `apt-get dist-upgrade'.

As to what you got, I guess that lines prior to the `file (pkg) not found' are
significant. Could you copy and paste a complete session and post it here?

What else is there in /var/cache/apt? Here is what I got from today apt-get:

bash-2.05# ls -R /var/cache/apt/
/var/cache/apt/:
archives  pkgcache.bin  srcpkgcache.bin

/var/cache/apt/archives:
adduser_3.41_all.deb              mime-support_3.12-1_all.deb
autotools-dev_20010809.1_all.deb  partial
lock                              wenglish_2.0-2_all.deb

/var/cache/apt/archives/partial:
bash-2.05#
--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>