Re: Ethernet Card Setup

> I am new to Debian, and am having difficulty
> setting up my Network Card.
>
> I currently have a 3Com  3C905-TX   PCI
> 10/100 network card.
>
> It is apparently supported in the kernel distributed
> with the current Potato release. I have read that it
> should be auto-detected.
>
> It doesn't seem to be detected and set up in the
> Debian Install.
>
> How do I go about configuring it?

Try disabling the "Plug-n-Play Operating System" setting in
your BIOS, if you have one. It may be worded differently, but
you should get the idea...

I *think* (and I'd like to know the answer for sure in case
anyone knows) that the kernel drivers for various pieces of
hardware only looks at 'x' number of settings, i.e. IRQ and IO
address. They're considered 'standard' settings for that
particular device. If you have 'PnP O/S' setting enabled in
your BIOS, it doesn't assign the settings, but instead, lets
the operating system do it.

Hall