Re: debian linux and SMP

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:59:11PM -0500, nick lidakis wrote:
> I have heard of numerous quirks with certain video cards. I wanted to run a tyan
> 230 with a radeon 32Mb video adapter. Do you have any problems
> as far as the machine locking up or behaving in a strange manner? There aren't
> that many reviews of this board online. A google search turns up little.
> Would your recommend this board for running Debian? Any special considerations?
> I plan on swaping this boards into a Antec SX830 (300W PS), Radeon 32 Mb AGP
> DDR, 512Mb Micron Ram, 3com NIC and ensoniq ES 1371 sound card.

Well, I have a Tyan Tiger 100 (not exactly what you have) with a
Diamond Viper 770 (NVidia TNT2?), and haven't had any problem so far (had
it for 2+ years... ever since Intel 450 PIII was new).

I haven't heard anything special about Radeon (which chipset, do you know?).
Micron Ram should be fine, 3COM Nic should be fine (although not the
cheapest.  I've tried with the Realtek too,and several brands of nics.
All works).
Used to have Ensoniq sound card (Soundblaster 128?), and those works fine.

Seems your system should work fine with Linux.

These days, if you buy from namebrands, it pretty much works with Linux.
Only pieces of hardware I have had problems with are with new techs, like
USB etc.  The only thing is, you might have to go to 2.4.x to make some
of the newer hardware work (some of the later nics etc. ).

email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
icq: thales @ 17755648
Yahoo Messenger: jfjellstad