Apt - Segmentation faulty Tree

Hi,

I have been using apt-get for some time without trouble, however now (after
doing update) when I go to install update,etc. I get this error
Reading Package Lists... Done
Segmentation faulty Tree... 50%
Tried -f & it comes to same error.

Anyone know of a way to fix this (had a prev. prob. with apt sources/list &
spent 5 hours tracking down that I had (for reasons unknown) a newline (\n)
right in the middle of lib2png, removed that & all has been fine for some
time, however, now after doing an update I am left with this, does anyone
know a way to test the packages lists prior to updating for errors, thereby
avoiding these issues? (some sort of CRC comparison between the master &
mirrors after the package has been moved across, not "on the fly" as such,
to rule out errors on the mirror server)

I know they should all be fine as they are mirrored from the master, however
all it takes is one screw up & there goes apt-get.

TIA,

1h0p3l355 N3w813