new 2.1 install freezes during hardware detection

Hi, all...

I've done 3 fresh Debian 2.1 installs from the GNU/Debian 2.1
CD (2.2.12 kernel) I have over the last few weeks and they all
went fine, until my 4th machine, which freezes up during
hardware detection of the install kernel.

So far, I've tried disabling all the on-board stuff, including
serial/parallel/USB (always had legacy audio disabled), but
that didn't change the results.

Next I am going to try removing all the cards except video
and see if it would get through the boot, so I could get
things running enough to compile a custom kernel.

If that doesn't work, I'll make some boot/install floppies
from one of the other boot/install images (and 2.2.r3
as well) to see if I have any better luck with that.

So, I was wondering if there were any known issues with an
Athlon 600 on the Asus K7M motherboard.  The other cards in
the machine are:
- nVidia GeForce 2 MX (AGP)
- SBLive sound card (one of the older ones)
- linksys ethernet (was running fine in the previous Debian
  box I had it in until I moved it)

Other hardware:
- Creative 52x CD-ROM
- Maxtor 20Gig HD

I've successfully used all this hardware together in Win98,
which I'm ready to fdisk out of existence, if I can get that
far in the installation... :)

I can be more specific with the error message, if needed,
after I get home and look at my notes, but it looked like
it detected my disks just fine, then a few lines later, there
appears to be attempted detection of a controller of some kind,
where it responds with something like "no port available" and
then freezes up solid (needs a hard reset or power cord pulled).

I'll keep working on it, but if anyone has any info for known
issues with this kind of hardware, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!

-Chris