Re: How to upgrade stable -> testing today, avoiding the libdb.so.3 bug.

Thanks Ben for your prompt reply!  :)

--- Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
> Actually, to do a fresh install of woody, you download the woody
> boot-floppies, and install woody. That's pretty simple, right? :)
>
> I don't suggest upgrading to woody yet. Wait a day or two for the new
> glibc and libdb2 to make their way into testing.

Yes, dl'ing and installing woody directly would be great,
if it would work.

In fact, that is what I tried about a week ago,
but I found, IIamC, apparently, a crucial file was missing,
and thus that option is not at all possible.

Perhaps I am wrong about this, but it seems that the
"base" file is not present on the ftp site,
and that without that file
it is impossible to do a direct installation of testing.

Looking in
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current
the "base" file is not present, whereas it is present in
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/

Also
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/README.txt
mentions base2_2.tgz, whereas
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current/README.txt
doesn't.

I am doing the install starting from floppies.
This works for installing stable, using base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz,
and dl'ing the rest over a modem.

I tried doing a "woody" install, using the woody files,
but I strongly recall that the installer program asked for the (nonexistent)
base image file, so there was no way to complete the install..

Perhaps I am not recalling my experience correctly, and/or have made an error,
but it was because of that problem that I had to,
for the goal of getting a testing system installed,

So, that is why I am asking you about how to do the upgrade,
not a direct testing install.  :)

I had tried to be very precise in my questions in the first post of this thread.
I think all those questions are important, and I would greatly appreciate it
if you would take a few minutes to answer them.  I do think your effort
would be repaid many times over in saving time for the Debian community,
especially for those trying to install a fresh working woody system today.  :)

One of the __main reasons__ for writing the request was to enable people
to get a woody system up _now_.  I.e., exactly to _avoid_ having to
"Wait a day or two for the new glibc and libdb2 to make their way into testing."

0. Do you think it will only take a day or two for the files to get into testing?
My understanding (gleaned from I don't recall where) is that it takes two _weeks_
for the files to be moved to testing from unstable, correct?

I know you said "I don't suggest upgrading to woody yet."

1. Why is that?

2. Would you please, nonetheless, answer the questions in my original mail,
and allow us the possibility of doing the upgrade now,
guided by the (likely) most knowledgeable authority on the topic (you),
should we prefer to try doing a fresh woody install now?   :)

Thank you very much for reconsidering your respone.   :)