Re: Modem/PPP fails on Progeny, works on Mandrake

Avdi writes:
> The modem is *amazingly* slow to respond. But it dials, and then sloooowly
> the ISP's prompts appear.

This is a symptom of an incorrect IRQ.  What do setserial and
'cat /proc/interrupts' say?

> Hoever, the default chatscript I modified had the "ogin:"/"sword:"
> expect/reply pairs in it, and I had went ahead and used them.  Turns out
> the ISP /does/ give login prompts, albeit verrrry slowly.

This is a red herring.  Many ISP's run software that detects manual
connection attempts and offers chat authentication instead of the PAP that
it offers when the connection appears to be automatic.  Your slow response
rate probably looks like someone typing into a communications program.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org