Re: newbie questions

--- "James A. Hilsenteger" <hilsy@dsl-only.net> wrote:
> I made the plunge and completely turned my Dell
> Inspiron 3000 into a Debian
> box.
Welcome aboard, remember Google is your freind and
this site is great for harvesting answers from.

> After a few false starts I have a working Debian
> computer using the Enlightened desktop.
> Under the main desktop menu, I cannot
> get some of the programs to respond.

I've looked recently at the Enlightened desktop and
have found that the menu list is not as complete as
the GNOME menu bar (I'm assuming that's what you mean)

Go to your home directory, you should see an
.enlightenment subdirectory. You'll see .menu files
under there. It appears that the floating menus are
mantained as updateable text files. How to update them
aside from manual intervention, I don't know.

I was able to have my gnome task bar overlaid on my
"enlightened" desktop. This could be a way around your
problem (if I got it right).

> Also I need some suggestions on a word processor and
> user-friendly database program.

Someone mentioned StarOffice, I think that's a good
one to go with. I don't have it on my Debian system
yet. If I were to need a word processor, I'd go that
route. Hope this helps.

Scott Hamma