Re: Why so big?

on Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:48:38PM +0100, P Kirk (patrick@enterprise-hr.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I installed slink, there used be a small system option that
> required 34 MB.  With potato, I choose simple setup, select SAMBA
> server and then install vim from dselect.  Its close on 200MB.

You can view your package selection with:

    $ dpkg --get-selections

If there are packages you don't think you need, you can try removing
them.  The packaging system will indicate what dependencies are
involved, and will select additional packages for removal if necessary
(you can abort the action at this step).  You can also use deborphan to
identify packages for which there are no packages depending on them,
within the libs and oldlibs sections.

You can get a good idea of system space utilization with the
incantation:

    $ du -s * | sort -nr | cat -n

...which will rank all files and directories in the current directory by
space utilization.  Pipe to pager, file, or 'head' if it scrolls off
screen.  Descend through larger trees for more details.