Re: Using lm-sensors

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:34:56AM -0400, David Z. Maze wrote:
> Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:
> RB> Thanks for the info.  So is the relation between lm-sensors and
> RB> lm-sensors-source that the latter provides drivers used by the former
> RB> (sort of like alsa, where you need to build the driver, but the
> RB> utilities can be obtained by binary package)?
>
> Correct.  lm-sensors includes useful userspace programs to poke at the
> sensor information too.

Since there are 2 different packages, I'd like to suggest a name change, e.g.,
lm-sensors-drivers-source for the drivers and
lm-sensors-utils  for the other one.

I think this is the ALSA style, although I must say I found the
packaging of it rather cryptic too.  A little more help in the
README.Debian and the package page on the web would help get me
oriented.  Example:

"A useful installation requires drivers and tools to read the
drivers.  Because the drivers are kernel-specific, and there are so
many kernels, we don't provide them as binary packages.   You need to
get the kernel-source, kernel-package, and xxx-sources.  Then .....

After you build and install the necessary drivers, you should be able
to install the utilities in xxxx and use them"

> RB> apt-get install lm-sensors-source i2c-source
> RB> untar, establish links and environment variables to get those two
> RB> modules where I actually
> RB>                   have my kernel  modules
>
> The modules *should* show up in the right place when you install the
> package (under /lib/modules/$(KVERS)).

Right.  I was referring to stuff I need to do before I compile the
sources.