Re: tar/gzip mistake

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:50:20PM +0200, phantomlord@wanadoo.nl wrote:

| Hi
|
| I made a big mistake, instead of updating my tar and gzip files I
| deleted them.  Installing them again with apt didn't work because
| the tar and gzip packages need to be unpacked themselves.  I tried
| to find the source files of them but I could only find tarballed
| archives of them.  Is there some other way to get tar and gzip back
| on my system without reinstalling?

I think you will need to copy the binary from some other system.  tar
(and gzip) are pretty crucial for distributing stuff on Unix.  You can
find gzip sources to build on a system that doesn't already have gzip,
but I think those sources are tarred up.  There might be tar sources
somewhere, but it would be much simpler to copy from an existing
system than to build from source.

What arch and version are you using?

-D