Re: Strange system lockups.

on Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:00:53PM -0700, Kamil Kisiel (KamilKisiel@speechlessarts.com) wrote:
> I am having some weird system lockup problems. My computer goes in to
> heavy HD caching every Sunday evening or Monday morning and locks up,
> I cannot move the mouse in X nor can I switch to any other virtual
> terminals.

Note that caching and high disk use are two separate things.  Are you
certain that the issue is caching?

It might help to run a top session in batch mode, with logged output, to
watch top processes and system resource utilization, to watch trends.

> I checked all the cron jobs in cron.daily, cron.weekly and
> cron.monthly and none of them take more than 3 seconds to run. My
> /etc/crontab only has anacron running. I checked my syslog, it doesn't
> report anything happening at this time. I am the only user on my
> system.

There's a process accounting utility (I'm trying to find it, think it's
the 'acct' package) which logs the start of every command executed on
the system.  I've found this more useful as a debug tool than for
accounting per se.

You also don't specify your memory and swap configuration.  They might
be...?