Re: DNS

* Michael W. Cole (colemw@home.com) wrote:
> I am trying to install DNS on my linux 2.2.19 box (i386 dist).  I am
> having difficulty with the zone scripts for the domain, xxxxx.org.  The
> name server is ns.xxxx.org  Can you show me a generic file with a
> description of what is needed in this file?
> Thank you
> Michael

  Michael,

I hope these work for you. I've gotten them to work with the help of
people from my local LUG, manu kudos to them for help. Good luck.

Alex.

/etc/bind/named.conf:

// This is the primary configuration file for the BIND DNS server named.
//
// Please read /usr/share/doc/bind9/README.Debian for information on the
// structure of BIND configuration files in Debian, *BEFORE* you customize
// this configuration file.
//

options {
	// If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	// to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
	// directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
	// questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 and later use an unprivileged
	// port by default.

	query-source address * port 53;

	// If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
	// nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
	// Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing
	// the all-0's placeholder.

        auth-nxdomain yes;
	directory "/var/named";
#OM:	forward first; # Makes NS ask the forwarders before trying the job
	forwarders { 128.xxx.xx.x; 128.xx.x.x; };
	allow-query { xxx.xxx.xx.xxx; 127.0.0.1; };
	allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xx.xx; };
	pid-file "/var/named/named.pid";
	transfer-format one-answer;
	version "Whatchew talkin bout, Willis?";
	allow-recursion { 127.0.0.1; };
};
// define a key - you should really change the secret since
// all Debian boxes everywhere will have the same secret
key "key" {
        algorithm       hmac-md5;
        secret "c3Ryb25nIGVub3VnaCBmb3IgYSBtYW4gYnV0IG1hZGUgZm9yIGEgd29tYW4K";
};

// fortunately, using this control statement, we restrict access
// to the control port 953/tcp to only the localhost and we
// configure named to listen to 953 only on the lo interface
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "key"; };

};

logging {
	channel "named.log" {
	file "named.log";
	severity dynamic;
	print-category yes;
	print-severity yes;
	};
	category default { default_syslog; "named.log"; };
	category queries { "named.log"; };
};

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." IN {
	type hint;
	file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" IN {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.127";
	allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.0";
	allow-update { none; };
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.255";
	allow-update { none; };
};

// add entries for other zones below here

zone "mydomain.org" IN {
        type master;
	notify yes;
	allow-query { any; };
	file "/etc/bind/db.mydomain.org";
};

/etc/bind/db.mydomain.org

;
; Zone file for tagancha.org
; Written by Oleksandr Moskalenko from the initial file by Ryan Helfter
; with the help of Linux DNS How-To
$TTL	3600
@	1800	SOA	ns.mydomain.org. hostmaster (
			2001080601	; serial (YYYYMMDD##)