Re: X Windows Problems

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 02:59:31AM -0700, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all.  I am having a very difficult time setting up my X-Windows system.
> I am VERY new to  the Debian (and linux in general), and can't get my
> X-Windows working correctly.  What happens is that after I configure my
> X-Windows in the xf86config executable and type startx, the screen goes
> black, and does not come back.  My ATI Radeon 32DDR video card is not on the
> list, and I'm not sure what kind of default to use for this.  Are there any
> suggestions on how I can get my video card configured correctly?  Is there a
> generic I should use, or should I download a driver for it (If so, could
> someone please tell me where I should get it, and how to properly install
> it?  Just with dselect I'm assuming?).
>
> Also, I believe I am configuring xdm (or something like it) to manage my
> windows.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with this or not, but
> everytime I boot up (even with an emergency backup floppy), the X-Windows
> tries to start up and the screen goes black again.  I have reinstalled
> Debian 3 times to try and figure out what's going on, and haven't seemed to
> make any progress.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
>
> Patrick
>

> --

I have dealt with a situation that sounds very similar to yours.
I was trying to set up a ATI Radeon VE video card with a digital flat
panel monitor.  I used the most recent xfree package (4.1.0) from
the unstable branch because it indicated it had support for the ATI Radeon.
The only way I have gotten the ati driver to work at all is if the
kernel has framebuffer support and it is enabled at startup.  If the
frambuffer is not enabled at startup, when the X server is started (startx) it
would hard lock and the monitor would go into power off mode.

/etc/lilo.conf
 vga=791

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
 Section "Device"
	Driver "ati"
 EndSection

Another way to get it working without framebuffer stuff is by instead of
using the "ati" driver use the "vesa" driver.  This is probably the
easiest solution.

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
 Section "Device"
	Driver "vesa"