2.2r3 install from CD problem

First, excuse the longwindedness, I thought the
background may be relevent.

I was installing 2.2r3 from an official CD set I got
from linux central , things were going pretty well
(except for a few failed module/driver installs)
The base install whent fine, I selected task packages
with apt and the Debian Task Selector, then onto
anXious.
My video card was successfully detected and said that
mach 64 server will be installed.
Next the fonts, I chose to install both 75 and 100
dpi, but on this screen I can not choose/select/get to
the OK or cancel options/buttons/menu items.

I am stuck on this Debian Config screen with no way
out but the vulcan nerve pinch.  So I reboot w/o the
CD and get a login prompt and am able to use the
system (console mode/command line only) for the last
two weeks.

During this time I learn a little about GNU/Linux,
play with adduser, vi, lilo.conf, mount ans some
others, but have the following problems:
man does not work at all, I edited my $MANPATH but to
no avail, i found a bunch of .gz man files, do I have
to unzip them all manually?

Then I could not find any package files for X11R6, the
directory was there in /usr? i think but no files in
X11R6/bin which made me think the package installation
did complete.

So I pulled an all nighter last night, zeroed my hard
drive, installed win98se, and installed debian
gnu/linux again, and go the same problem.

So here I am stuck on the anXious fonts screen again.
The system is not hung as i can move between the 75
and 100 dpi choices with my arroiw keys and toggle the
choioces on and off with the spacebar but I can not
select <OK> or <cancel> to move on to the next step.

Please offer suggestions as to my best options.  Will
I have to download the packages manually on my windows
partition then learn how to install them manually from
my windows partition?  Is my new CD defective, has
anbody ever heard of a problem like this before?

Thanks.
Markout.