X Windows Problems

Hi all.  I am having a very difficult time setting up my X-Windows system.
I am VERY new to  the Debian (and linux in general), and can't get my
X-Windows working correctly.  What happens is that after I configure my
X-Windows in the xf86config executable and type startx, the screen goes
black, and does not come back.  My ATI Radeon 32DDR video card is not on the
list, and I'm not sure what kind of default to use for this.  Are there any
suggestions on how I can get my video card configured correctly?  Is there a
generic I should use, or should I download a driver for it (If so, could
someone please tell me where I should get it, and how to properly install
it?  Just with dselect I'm assuming?).

Also, I believe I am configuring xdm (or something like it) to manage my
windows.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with this or not, but
everytime I boot up (even with an emergency backup floppy), the X-Windows
tries to start up and the screen goes black again.  I have reinstalled
Debian 3 times to try and figure out what's going on, and haven't seemed to
make any progress.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Patrick