Re: Unable to boot from hard drive

You wrote:
>When you say that you messed around with lilo.conf changing settings, did
>you also try doing /sbin/lilo after changing the settings?  Did you see
>where the label for linux was installed when you ran it?
>
>I think it might help to see your /etc/lilo.conf and the partition table.  I
>am more familiar with how that looks from fdisk and usually just do:
>fdisk -l /dev/hda >partition.table
>to make the file to paste into an email.

Yes, i ran /sbin/lilo after changing lilo.conf and it prints the
message that Linux was added, the master boot record was written.  In
particular, the settings i tried playing with were the lba32/linear
options, and adding the hard drive geometry to the file.  None of that
made any difference (no system disk error, lilo not loaded at all).

Here's what i have now (i believe it's the default lilo.conf that debian
sets up directly from the installation), minus comments:

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
	label=LinuxOLD
	read-only
	optional

And here's the result of fdisk -l /dev/hda:

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1         1      8001   83  Linux
/dev/hda2             2        32    249007+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3            33      4865  38821072+  83  Linux

As i said in my first email, /boot is on /dev/hda1, which is marked
bootable and is at the beginning of the drive.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight :)

--
   \  /  Mike Miller   \   fudu00@netscape.net
    \/    GATech - CmpE \   gte296k@prism.gatech.edu