Re: LaserJet 6L and dvi-files

I'm not sure why your subject line mentions Laserjet 6L, since what you're
clearly interested in is dvi and ps.  However, my understanding is that
grayscaling is a postscript-level feature, and there's therefore no way to
represent it in DVI (other than as a "special" which, by my understanding,
means essentially "pass to some other interpreter). You therefore need to
translate from dvi to ps (or pdf) before you can see anything
grayscaled. A relatively quick, painless way to deal with this is to use
pdflatex instead of latex, which will run your work directly from latex to
pdf and let you view it with a pdf viewer (gv, xpdf, acroread, etc.).

ap

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA