abiword: can't load fontset

I can't seem to get abiword to work on one of my machines, it always gives me a dialog about not being able to find the Times New Roman fontset and then exits. Even after upgrading to the version in unstable, I still get the error.

Abiword, however, runs fine on my other machine which, upon comparing the output of its dpkg -l with one on this machine, appears to still have a bunch of packages from X 3.3.6 installed (which, I suppose, is probably why abiword works on that computer).

The text of the error dialog follows:

***
AbiWord could not load the following font or fontset from the X Window System display server: [-*-Times New Roman-regular-r-*-*-*-0-*-*-*-*-*]

This error could be the result of an incomplete AbiSuite installation, an incompatibility with your X Window System diplay server, or a problem communicating with a remote font server.

Often this error is the result of invoking AbiWord directly instead of through its wrapper shell script. The script dynamically adds the AbiSuite font directory to your X Window System display server font path before running the executable.
***

I believe I am running the wrapper script... I'm running 'abiword' just like I always have.
Any ideas?

TIA