Fwd: two problems with building a bootdisk

are there no sympathetic souls out there who'd help me?

----- Forwarded message from "Martin F. Krafft" <madduck@madduck.net> -----

hi,
i would like to build a 1722k bootdisk for a diskless router. sure,
linuxrouter.org exists, but i would like to make it an exercise to do
it myself. i have compiled a modular kernel (bzImage), i have created
a compressed root filesystem according to
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO, and i placed the
essential files onto this rootdisk (mail me for a list).

now, however, i am experiencing two problems. essentially, i would
like to have one single disk, with the kernel and the root image, but
for now, i figure it's more important to get the kernel to boot with
the root image from another disk.

so with

dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0
rdev -R /dev/fd0 0
rdev -r /dev/fd0 49152

i have created a bootdisk that contains the kernel, and once that is
loaded, it prompts for the second disk.

the second disk is done using the filesystem loop-mounted from
router.raw. this file i prepared as follows:

umount router
dd if=router.raw of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k

the root file system contains /sbin/init and the following inittab:

cat << EOF > /etc/inittab
id:2:initdefault:
si::sysinit:/etc/rc
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
EOF

/etc/rc for now only contains the following lines:

cat << EOF > /etc/rc
echo "executing /etc/rc ..."
/bin/mount -av
/bin/hostname yellow
/sbin/ifup -a
echo "done with /etc/rc."
EOF

init starts correctly, it runs throught he /etc/rc file, printing the
echo lines to the terminal and mounting proc. however, then it claims
  INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

and just sits there forever. /sbin/getty is never executed, and i
can't get into the system. then, every now and then, init complains
about both getty's restarting to quickly and disabled them for 5
additional minutes.

any clues what's up? i'll post my second problem once this is
resolved.

----- End forwarded message -----

friends help you move. real friends help you move bodies.