Re: Can't print after kernel compile

Britton wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Ken Januski wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed Debian from binaries about a year ago. Today I finally
> > compiled from the source code. Most everything seems fine except for
> > printing. Using lpq I get message asking if my printer "is offline?".
> > Trying to print from Netscape I get "lpr:connect Connection refused.
> > Jobs queued but cannot start daemon."
>
> If you are using a parallel port printer, did you remember to enable
> parallel port support in the kernel (strangely, I think it is off be
> default)?

Recompiled kernel again this morning with parallel support checked. I'm
almost positive it was on last compile as well. But I still have
problems. When I boot up I get message: "lp no devices found."

I'm wondering if I could have chosen something else in menuconfig that
would interfere with parallel printing but if so I sure can't figure out
what it is.

Ken