trouble with Quake3+ALSA+debian

We have a fairly stock Debian/testing system.  Layered over this is the
0.9.0beta6 ALSA packages (driver,lib,utils) and Quake3 Arena.  We also
have a via686a sound card built on an Aopen-63k-pro motherboard.

The sound for all applications (xmms, kscd, realplay, etc.) works as
expected except for Quake3.  I have read about the problems with Quake
in this newsgroup, but I would like to ask again for current knowledge.

We receive the message that it cannot find the /dev/dsp device.  This
is strange because all the required modules are loaded and seem to be
working as they should.

Does anyone know what can be done to correct this problem? I have
attached the relevant configuration files.

Also, is 0.9.0beta6 more current than 0.5.11 ?

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a #, and everything on the line after them are ignored.
NVdriver
# for alsa-sound
soundcore
snd-card-via686a
snd-mixer-oss
snd-pcm-oss
snd-seq-oss

# /etc/modutils/sound: entry in /etc/modules.conf
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a
options snd-card-interwave snd_index-0 snd_id="82C686A"
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss