smbmount

I've a problem with smbmount when trying to mount as ordinary
(not root) user. I can mount samba shares if I mount them
under ordinary users own home directory, for exmple in
/home/orduser/mnt/ . Also, I can mount other hard drive
partitions under /mnt/ as ordinary user. But I can _not_ mount
samba shares under /mnt/ . If I try for example:
smbmount //sharer/share /mnt/share -o
username=orduser,password=passwd,
I get following:
cannot mount on /mnt/share: operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
I have not any entries in fstab concerning this (I'd like to
first make it work manually), and smbmount version is 2.2.1a,
and kernel is 2.4.7, with smbfs compiled in it.
Any ideas?

Petteri Heinonen
email:  heinonep@cs.tut.fi
addr:   Varvikonkatu 1 C 19