Re: Netscape as root, sndconfig

Well, you failed to follow my expressed wishes, but I certainly will
follow yours...  followups to list only...

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Nathan E Norman wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:50:26PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
>

>> Telnet is a security
>> hazard because everything goes over in the clear, making the session
>> snoopable and vulnerable to password sniffing programs like dsniff.  If
>> you haven't seen firsthand how many passwords you can harvest on the
>> average network, you have no business slamming telnet (pop3 is
>> actually the biggest culprit: it tends to resend passwords on a periodic
>> basis).
>
>So you admit telnet is a security hazard, then resort to an ad hominem
>attack to defend it?

Ad HOMinem?  Who did I attack?  I was just using it as an example of the
difference between a reasoned argument and one based on faith.

>For your information, I've been a network engineer for some 5 years
>now.  I have seen how much information can be sniffed since as the
>engineer I was usually the guy with the sniffer.  Anything that passes
>information in the clear (telnet, ftp, pop3, imap, snmp ...) is a
>security risk.  I think I'm quite qualified to "slam" telnet, thank
>you.

Ahh, you took my rant as directed at yourself.  Well, I really didn't mean
to slam you, but now that you mention it...

>If you don't think "." in your PATH is a security risk, then you seem
>to know something that most UNIX people do not.

No, I think it is.  I also think that it violates POLS for DOS->Unix
users.

>To me, the most annoying thing about this thread is that if the
>original poster could READ he'd haver quickly found out how to run
>netscape as root, and wouldn't have had to trouble the list at all.

Well, how often is the proper answer "RTFM" around here?  Perhaps there
ought to be an RTFM bot on this list that replies to all messages with a
prettified version of RTFM...  Failing that time, unhelpful answers are
doing nobody any good.

--
There is no problem so great that it cannot be solved with suitable
application of High Explosives.