Problem with PPP

Ok, when I do a 'pon', my modem dials and connects, but as soon as it connects it disconnects. I did a 'plog' to check and see if taht would tell me what the problem was. 'Plog' is giving me this:

asphault pppd[747]: Serial connection established
asphault pppd[747]: Couldn't attach tty to ppp unit 0: Invalid argument
asphault pppd[747]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
asphault pppd[747]: Exit.

I am running Debian 2.2, and this was working fine but stopped working for some reason. I am pretty sure it was working after i upgraded my kernel to 2.4.8.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!