Re: 8003EP nic installation woes...

On 15 Aug 2001 12:03:45 -0500, mullena@iwon.com wrote:
> Mike -
>
> Thank you for the response.  Here we go.
>
> I have a hard drive, 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 floppies, 8003ep nic.  It's basically
> a vanilla Dell 486P/50. ;-)
>
> >You don't happen to have a soundcard with a midi port around there do
> >you?  What does /proc/ioports /proc/interrupts look like on your system?
>
> cat /proc/ioports
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-003f : pic1
> 0040-005f : timer
> 0060-006f : keyboard
> 0070-007f : rtc
> 0080-008f : dma page reg
> 00a0-00bf : pic2
> 00c0-00df : dma2
> 00f0-00ff : fpu
> 01f0-01f7 : ide0
> 02f8-02ff : serial(set)
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> 03f6-03f6 : ide0
> 03f8-03ff : serial(set)
>
> cat /proc/interrupts
>          CPU0
>   0:   103525  XT-PIC  timer
>   1:      375  XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:        0  XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:        1  XT-PIC  rtc
>  13:        1  XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:    36381  XT-PIC  ide0
> NMI:        0  XT-PIC

Looks clean to me.  No conflicts anywhere.

> >> Here are the parameters I used with the wd module with no success;
> >> io=0x300 irq=5 (these never changed)
> >> mem=0xCA000 mem_end=0xCBFFF
> >> mem=0xCA000 mem_end=0xCC000
> >> mem=0xCA00 mem_end=CxCBFF
> >> mem=0xCA000
> >> mem=0xCA00

The documentation in the kernel source had this to say:

io = 0          (It will complain if you don't supply an "io=0xNNN")
irq = 0         (IRQ val. read from EEPROM, ancient cards use autoIRQ)

I'm not sure what that means.  Have you tried moving irq and io to
different settings and retesting?

> >> The error messages are:
> >> wd.c: No wd0x3 card found (i/o = 0x300)
> >> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/wd.o init_module: Device or resource busy
> >> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> >> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> >> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/wd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/wd.o
> >> failed
> >> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/wd.o: insmod wd failed
> >>
> >> I even opened up the box to look at the card.  The jumper is set to 0x300
> >> 5 0xCA000.
> >
> >Just a question, but what does pnpdump say about cards on your system.
> >You're saying the card is jumpered but I just want to be sure nothing
> >else is getting in the way.
>
> Neither /proc/bus/pci/devices nor /proc/pci found, so PCI resource conflict
> not checked
>
> <pnpdump v 1.21 build info deleted>
>
> # Trying port address 0273
> # Trying port address 027b
> <...>
> # Trying port address 03f3
> # No boards found

It seems like it just might be a cranky card at the settings it's at
right now.  Maybe even moving it to another slot may help.  But at this
point it's like a voodoo curse since by all accounts things should be
working.

--mike