Re: konqueror infinite self-clones

On 15 Aug 2001 04:15:50 -0500, will trillich wrote:
> when using konquer in file-browser mode (nosnig around my home
> directory, for example) if i run across a *.tar.gz for example
> and if i make the mistake of double-clicking on it (thinking
> that if less can read it, everything ought to be able to)
> knoqueror tries to display the file, figures out it should pass
> it to a helper application -- which is konqueror -- and then
> hands the task off to that application.
snip
> which is konqueror. which doesn't know how to handle *.gz files.
> so it spawns a helper application to do the work...
snip
> until i ctl-alt-f1 to get console, log in an kill one of the
> main kdm processes; then all my current windows are okay (even
> switching virtual desktops is no problem) but no new processes
> can be spawned. when i log out (or wind up killing X via
> atl-alt-backspace) kdm restarts and then all is rosy again.
Have you tried killall konqueror?  That works for me when nmbd goes
bezerk and rabbits on me.  Much easier than putting in a ton of pids.
--mike

> i let it go one time to see if it'd quit after so many
> iterations, and there appeared to be no end in sight.
>
> how do i tell konqueror to NOT spawn itself as a helper app?
Not sure how to do that since I run mozilla/galeon.  Perhaps in the
helper apps section there is some way to add .gz and tar.gz as being
read by the kde filemanager or something?

--mike