stable sendmail w/ unstable libraries

Hi!

Just a hint to be cautious, I´ve seen this on debian-isp (IIRC) before,
 and have been bitten by it myself some 2 or 3 times, but when it was
 now time again, I couldn´t find it in the archives. So, take my advice
 with a grain of salt, it´s just for the archives ;-)

When upgrading some libraries away from stable (libc6, libdb*) stable
 sendmail (8.9.3-23 as of now), won´t be able to behave correctly
 because the underlying berkeley-db seems to have undergone some
 changes, eg makemap hash.. won´t do anymore.

I´ve gone to some effort, even compiling sendmail 8.9.3-23 myself, but
 to now avail, so on every box which has been bitten by this, I had to
 upgrade sendmail to 8.9.12something.

Q: Why is this so strange to debug? You´ve just upgraded libraries to
 testing/unstable.
A: No, not just. Just recently, stable sendmail will run happily after
 upgrading until it is restarted for the first time after upgrading, or
 you´ve tried to run newaliases. In my case there´ve been some weeks
 between upgrading the libraries und restarting sendmail. That´s what
 makes the connection between the two somewhat difficult to spot.

Ok, and now to a question: should I file a bugreport against libc6/
 libdb* so that when upgrading they´ll also upgrade sendmail, or should
 I file a bugreport against sendmail so it depends on libc6/libdb*
 <something,-up-to-something-other and not <=something?

cheers,
&rw