Re: upgrading more then one box by downloading the files once!

on Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 03:09:32AM -0500, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:04:49AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Arno Baier (arno.baier.linux@aon.at) wrote:
> > > hi folks,
> > > i have 3 woddy boxes and until now i made for each a upgrade by downloading
> > > each file three times. now i want to set up x and kde, these are to many
> > > files to
> > > download them three times.
> > > is ther any solution to download the files and store them
> > > and upgrade the other boxes with these files?
> > >
> > > i will not set up an mirror, to low internet connection - to many files !
> >
> > You can accomplish much the same effect as mirroring, more efficiently,
> > by setting up a transparent squid proxy.  Your webrowsing will also
> > benefit.
>
> any chance we can get that translated into english?

Lbh pna nppbzcyvfu zhpu gur fnzr rssrpg nf zveebevat, zber rssvpvragyl,
ol frggvat hc n genafcnerag fdhvq cebkl.  Lbhe jroebjfvat jvyy nyfb
orarsvg.

...oh, hell.

> (and is there a /translucent/ or /opaque/ squid proxy?)
> what's transparent, and how does a debster set it up?

Squid is a caching web proxy.  It replaces the cache of your browser
with one that's:

  - Centralized.  Multiple browsers, users, and/or hosts can hit the
    same cache.

  - Specialized.  Squid is a cache.  It's not a browser / mailer /
    newsreader / HTML editor / toaster.  It's a cache.  It specializes
    in being fast and configurable to your needs.

  - Bigger.  Throw as much storage at the cache as you can spare.  I run
    about 1.5 GB on my firewall (the storage is otherwise unused).
    Memory and storage are offloaded from my workstations.

  - Portable.  Put the cache where it's useful, needed, and/or out of
    the way.  Again, mine's on a firewall.

To create a transparent cache, you'll create a NAT rule for your
firewall to redirect INTERNAL traffic bound for EXTERNAL sites on PORT
80 to the PROXY listener port.

I actually do this under OpenBSD, my rule is:

    rdr dc0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> 192.168.0.1 port 8080

Cheers.