Re: reiser?

	Subject: Re: reiser?
	Date: Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:49:48AM -0600

Quoting Robert L. Harris(Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net):

> Sorry, forgot to paste sources.list but basically woody:
>

> but the main thing, if I can do an apt-get install, why isn't it listed
> in /var/lib/dpkg/available.
>
> Robert

Well I guess because I had updated my woody box from potato 'after' I
had upgraded the kernel to 2.4.x.  IIRC the patches for potato came
from the sid/unstable branch and not from woody/testing branch.

I just checked my woody /var/lib/dpkg/available and found
-----------------------------
Package: reiserfsprogs
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 664
Maintainer: Ed Boraas <ed@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.x.0j-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-1)
Filename: pool/main/r/reiserfsprogs/reiserfsprogs_3.x.0j-3_i386.deb
Size: 293484
MD5sum: a958a3eb27d5ad444fd398499bafbcca
 This package contains utilities to create, check, resize, and debug ReiserFS
 filesystems.
 .
 NOTE: Releases of Linux prior to 2.4.1 do not support ReiserFS on their own.
 Thus, these tools will only be useful with Linux 2.4.1 or later, or if your
 kernel has been built with the ReiserFS patch applied. This patch can be found
 in the appropriate kernel-patch-<version>-reiserfs packages.
---------------------------------

Now I am pretty sure that that came from the Potato upgrade of the 2.4.x programs.

Here is what 'should have' gone out in my first post to you.

Also in potato if you add this to your sources.list
deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main

That adds support for the 2.4.x kernel and includes packages that
the new kernel uses, reiserfs, modutils, etc.

I am currently using reiserfs on 2 LVM 10 Gig disk partitions.  It's been
working for about a week on a potato box.  No problems whatsoever, as
of now.

I'm sorry that didn't go out before.  I had modified the post before sending,
but forgot :-( exim had already pick it up.

HTH
Wayne
--
Real Time, adj.:
  Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.