Re: syslog reports weird routing problems?

On 14 Aug 2001 05:51:16 +0000, john smith wrote:
> Something's weird..whenever I log into a console and connect to the internet
> I get this: (from syslog and messages too) continuously while I am connected
> to the internet
> LEN=28 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=36242 PROTO=2
> Aug 13 22:52:28 wats kernel: IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.247.5.159
> DST=224.0.0.1
<snip>
> my /etc/network/interfaces is:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.0.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> # up route add default gw 192.168.0.1
> # down route del default gw 192.168.0.1
>
> I think the problem is in the gateway because if I uncomment those I don't
> get those weird errors anymore but then I can no longer ping outside my
> network (i.e. ping www.amd.com). I am using a dial-up line so I don't have a
> "default gateway" or should I?

pppd should set a default gateway for you for the rest of the internet.

It looks to me that when you uncomment those lines in
/etc/network/interfaces you had set your machine to route to itself for
the whole internet ... which probably had nowhere to go hence no pings
etc from the internet.

Check your routing when your ppp link is up.  That may give some clue.

I'm confused why IGMP packets are getting logged here from routing.  My
firewall gets these all the time, I made a a special rule because I got
tired of them being logged.  Same destination subnet too 224.0.0.1, but
mine are coming from 192.168.100.1.

--mike