Re: Searching in dselect

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:38:17AM -0400, Mike McGuire wrote:
> Ian Perry wrote:
> > The '/' key is helpful in searching for a string in the package name, but it
> > will not search the descriptions of the packages.  I seem to remember in a
> > previous version (even before slink) that it used to do this.
>
> Hm. Not quite what you were looking for, but 'apt-cache search' does
> this. As long as apt knows about packages, and if dselect uses apt as
> its get method or whatever, it does. As for searching descriptions in
> dselect, I'd like to know too. I'm surprised one of the dselect
> evangelists hasn't piped up on this yet... ;)

Well, if you want one of us to do so ... :)

It'll work in dselect version 1.10 (not yet released). Here's part of
the documentation:

   Searching and sorting
       The  list  of  packages  can  be searched by package name.
       This is done by pressing '/', and typing a  simple  search
       string.  The  string  is interpreted as a regex(7) regular
       expression.  If you add '/d'  to  the  search  expression,
       dselect  will also search in descriptions.