Sid: Lost fonts (box-characters)

I'm seeing a fonts problem in two packages I use, dillo (0.6.0, from
tarball sources) and xchat-gnome (version: 1.8.2-1), both are showing up
with a bad font choice.  Main fonts are rendered as square blocks, a
line of text looks something like "[][][][] [][] [][][][][][]..."

I've got the following fonts installed under Sid:

    gsfonts                                         install
    gsfonts-x11                                     install
    xfonts-100dpi                                   install
    xfonts-75dpi                                    install
    xfonts-base                                     install
    xfonts-scalable                                 install

...and roughly the same fonts under Woody, which still works:

    gsfonts                                         install
    xfonts-100dpi                                   install
    xfonts-75dpi                                    install
    xfonts-base                                     install
    xfonts-cyrillic                                 install
    xfonts-pex                                      install
    xfonts-scalable                                 install

Running XF86 v 3.3.6.  From startup message:

Runing xfs and xfstt as fontservers.

    (**) FontPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,