make a deb package

Hi all,

I want to make a .deb package. In order to to that I try simply
to see if I can remake an existing one. I took the hello package
and I did 'dpkg -i hello_1.3-16.deb test/'. Then I went in the
test directory and I did `dpkg-deb -b --nocheck . hello_1.3-16.deb'.
I used --nocheck because I learn that I need a ./DEBIAN/control file
but google is returning only cvs log files when I search for
an example DEBIAN/control file. I get a deb file which is a bit larger
than the initial one, but which contain the same files in the same
structure. I try to read the deb-make man page, but I don't understand
it, that is why I went directly to dpkg-deb.

For instance in /usr/doc/debmake/HOWTO.first_time it say that after
running deb-make one have to make modifications in debian/rules.
That file it look to me as a Makefile and I don't understand such
files. What do I have to modify? If I simply run it it give errors
so I can't continue.

It is a simply way for people who are not maintainers, who don't
know to deal with Makefile related issues to make a .deb package?
It is the way I described in the first lines in my e-mail an
accepted way to do it? I mean, I can put the files in the subdirectories
trees as it should for the instalation, and then I run
dpkg-deb -b --nocheck . program_0.0-0.deb

Which kind of documentation I should read?

I appologize if this is not the right list for this questions.

Thank you for your help,
			Ionel Ciobîcă