re: wvdial: pppd connects, but telnet doesn't work

First of all, thanks to several debian-users who tried to help me yesterday
with this problem.  Sadder but wiser, I was reading mail with an unfamiliar
reader, and I managed to delete most of the e-mails.  So, my first question
today is HOWTO find the debian-user archives.

I did read Sebastian's note re telnet before the mailserver crash.  So, I
tried that in another console -> no joy.  However, on my office machine with
a full install including KDE, Sebastian's method worked.  Eg, after
establishing dial-up connection, telnet to my ISP will run in a console.
And, I can ping ISP.   Would appreciate suggestions again about running a
connection with the laptop.  TIA,  dave