Re: HELP, caught in a login loop

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 07:15:47PM -0400, gorgon@globalserve.net wrote:

[...]

| Would you please inform me, how I can boot Linux and stop it from
| starting xdm and X-Windows.

You can use Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] to get a Virtual Console (Ctrl-Alt-F7 is
where X runs by default).  You can use a virtual console to adjust any
settings, even turn off xdm or restart X.  I recommend using the 'ae'
editor because it is easy to learn for someone not already experienced
with other editors.

To stop xdm from starting you can simply rename the S99xdm file in the
/etc/rc2.d/ directory.  For example (as root) :

    # cd /etc/rc2.d
    # mv S99xdm notS99xdm

will prevent xdm from starting the next time you reboot.  To make xdm
start again simply reverse the arguments to 'mv'.  If you want to stop
xdm right now you can use the command

    # /etc/init.d/xdm stop

and xdm will shutdown.  The nice thing about this is you (almost
never) need to reboot when correcting problems.

HTH,
-D