how to copy package choices from one machine to another

ok, since I like to share what I find...

Here's how I cloned the package settings on one host to another.
The hosts are going to be listed below as "original" and "clone"
for clarity.  :)

0. on both hosts, did "apt-get update" to update the package lists
1. Made a comprehensive package list on the "original" host:
     dpkg --get-selections "*" > package-list.out
2. scp'd the list from the "orignal" host to the "clone" host
2. On the "clone":
     cat package-list.out | dpkg --set-selections
3. Then used apt to download and configure:
     apt-get dselect-upgrade   (since the flags are set in dselect)

Now that I think about it, I probably should have made sure that
I also updated the package lists in dselect (probaby already did
but it should be a step above before step 1).

The packages are being downloaded now, and once things are installed
and configured, I'll post any problem I ran into with this setup.
Since I have no data on this new machine, yet, I'm willing to do a
little potentially risky stuff like this...  :)

-Chris

Chris Palmer wrote