unable to stat

hi,
    recenlty my system went haywire and had to run fsck when i did some
clearing and fixing of wrong values. among them was
/usr/share/man/man1/uuidgen.1.gz.

I thought that the problem was solved, but when I ran apt-get update &&
apt-get update. I came across this problem.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/e2fsprogs_1.22-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to stat `./usr/share/man/man1/uuidgen.1.gz' (which I was about to install): Value too large for defined data type
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/e2fsprogs_1.22-2_i386.deb

Hmmn is this a filesystem error or the package is corrupt? I did a
search on google. The reference where to some large file as much as 2Gb
gettting tarred or untarred.

what shall I do about this?

regards
harsha